Monday 11 May 2015

I saw this female Orange Tip butterfly this morning

I posted a picture of the male Orange Tip butterfly a few weeks ago showing its distinctive colouring. I've also posted pictures of this butterfly's eggs. In contrast the female of this species is white with black tips on her wings and looks not very different from the other white butterflies that we see. 

What distinguishes her from these other whites is her underside which has the mottled green and white she shares with the male. I saw two of these on the edge of Rowley Fields this morning. One settled briefly on Cow Parsley in the sun and basked long enough for me to get this.


As with all my pics this one will enlarge if you click on it and the resolution should be good enough to see some of her details.

No comments:

Post a Comment