Monday 6 July 2015

I saw thistles decorated with Burnet moths and Skipper butterflies

A little while ago I pondered on the question, 'what is the point of stinging nettles?'. Well, they do support a lot of insect life including the Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies who lay their eggs on them. That alone in my mind justifies the nettle's existence. 

So, what of the thistle? Surely this weed has no purpose other than to spoil the meadow and pasture, graze the child's bare legs and stop us from plonking our bums on the grass. Well, if you wander in the Welcombe Hills check out the thistles where they stand head high, their flowers like purple shaving brushes.  My little friend the Small Skipper loves these as does our only day time moth the Burnet.


 The Woolley Thistles are nearly ready to flower. They should be flowering in time for the nature walk we have planned. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment