Thursday 23 July 2015

Exciting spot of a Fritillary butterfly up the Welcombe Hills

Here's a good spot this morning . It looks like a Silver-Washed Fritillary and it was flying around the area near the Reservoir up the Welcombe Hills. I'd just been wondering whether or not to take a photograph of a Comma butterfly when I noticed this beauty glide ahead. At first I thought it was another Comma but its gliding made me think otherwise.  This one settled some 12 feet away and the slightly damaged rear wing at the top of the picture did from that distance make me think it was a Comma. Unfortunately it soon glided away and out of sight.
To positively identify the type of Fritillary you really need to see the underside but it wasn't obliging today. It wasn't until I got home and was able to look at the images on my computer that the identity could be confirmed.

I've posted some video of Fritillaries in Snitterfield Bushes where they are establish and the woodland is managed to make them successful. This is the first one I've seen here though. 

A good spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment